With the Armagh International 5k just weeks away, this is the place to follow the build up. We will be bringing you pre-race interviews with the leading entrants, a race preview and much, much more. Results, race coverage and post race interviews will also be online as soon as possible after the race. Tell your friends where we are, and why not follow us on twitter while your at it; @ArmaghIntl5k

Matt Gillespie Interview

Today's interviewee is Great Britain and Scotland International Matthew Gillespie. Matt has been running since an early age, his first success coming at the Inter-Counties XC at u13 level. Since then he has flourished into a many time GB international and boasts an impressive resume including a 14.12 5000m and a 66 minute half. We caught up with him 2 weeks out from his Armagh International 5k debut.



First question Matt, what is it that’s brought you to Armagh this year?

MG: First of all, it’s always a great race. I’m sure this year will be no exception and to be involved in this race is the sort of thing any runner relishes. Secondly, the Shettleston guys got an invite and I decided that this was the year I’d give it a shot. 


How has your training faired over the last couple of months?

MG: It’s been satisfactory; qualification for the Euro Cross with a good run at Euro Cross was the main objective. I achieved that which gave me a lot of faith in the training I’m doing. Post the Euro’s, my Achilles didn’t feel right and I didn’t want to risk chronic injury so I took it easy for a good bit but fortunately I’m back to full training now.


You ran 14.37 on the roads last year, and 14.12 on the track. What kind of time do you think you’re capable of in two weeks time?

MG: I would like to think somewhere in between. We’ll just have to see how the race goes; I think I’ll go in looking for a good position as opposed to a time. I’ll say around 14:30.  


Your latest Great Britain vest came at the Euro Cross in December. Your first vest however came back in 2008 on the Mountains, and you seem to have pretty much mastered everything else in-between. What is your ultimate focus going forward and what is it that motivates you?

MG: 100% the track, I love running fast on the track. I can’t seem to get as fired up for any other races as I do for the track. I really hope I can get well under 14 minutes this year for the 5000m. I thought I would get it last summer but a back injury kept me from finding that out. For the next season the 5000m is the goal, I won’t be dwelling too far from that. So as much as I’d like to, there’ll be no half marathons, 10ks or hill races. I’ll get down to a few BMC races and will try and get in the Olympic Trial.
My motivation is quite simple, I love what I’m doing and trying to get the absolute best out of myself is my focus and motivation.



Given that, what do you currently consider your best event?

MG: I reckon it’s probably a 10,000m but I want to keep things shorter and move up to that once I’m happy with what I’ve achieved at the 5,000m.


I notice your Bank of Scotland Local Hero page on Facebook has received quite a lot of attention. What kind of support do they provide for you?

MG: It’s quite funny how much attention it’s received. I thought I’d be honest and provide useful data about my training that I’d be happy telling friends but ultimately there’s always someone that will think what you are doing is categorically wrong. I’ve stopped posting the data now; I don’t really want to be discussed.
Bank of Scotland Local Heroes provide support to athletes in their late teens and early 20’s who are trying to make major Championships in the future. I am very grateful for their support which has essentially helped me with my equipment costs and some physio bills. I should point out that I'm also grateful for the support from Shettleston Harriers, Glasgow University, Glasgow Athletics Association, Clackmannanshire Sports Council, scottishathletics and of course my parents. 


And finally, I think I am right in saying that you finish your degree this summer? What are your plans after that?

MG: I’m finishing off my law degree this year. There are lots of options on the table; there’s staying here and continuing my studies, going to the US to use my last 2 years of eligibility up or entering the world of work. I’ll hopefully know quite soon but I’m exploring all 3 options.


Thanks for your time Matt, and good luck in two weeks time!