With the Armagh International 5k just weeks away, this is the place to follow the build up. We will be bringing you pre-race interviews with the leading entrants, a race preview and much, much more. Results, race coverage and post race interviews will also be online as soon as possible after the race. Tell your friends where we are, and why not follow us on twitter while your at it; @ArmaghIntl5k

Dave Norman Interview

Joining us again this year representing the Real Runners team is England international Dave Norman. Dave has been one of the top English road runners over the past decade, and has represented his country on the road, cross country and on the mountains. His stand-out achievement is undoubtedly a top 15 finish in the London Marathon (3rd Brit).



Afternoon Dave! You ran the race for the first time last year, what did you make of the event, and what is it that’s brought you back again this year?

DN: I really enjoyed last year’s event; there was something pretty special about a multi-lap evening race with big crowds.  I wasn’t particularly happy with my result in last year’s race so I wanted to come back and do myself justice.  It’s a very fast course and it’s easy to see why people run fast on it.


Having just dipped 15 minutes last year, what kind of shape do you think you’re in, and what target time do you have in mind this year? We noticed a good return to form at the Ribble Valley 10k recently...

DN: I was disappointed with my time last year, but because I was in marathon training I didn’t come into the race fresh.  To run a good 5k road race, you need the zip in your legs.  Ribble Valley was a step forward for me and I tapered well for that – I’ll try a similar taper for Armagh.  My target has to be my road 5k PB of 14:42 – largely because I have an ongoing bet which prevents me getting my haircut until I run a PB!  I ran faster than that on the track in 2011 so it’s certainly achievable.

How do you think your team, Real Runners, will get on this year?

DN: We have a good mix of youth and experience.  Ashley Harrell is definitely one to watch – he ran very well over 5k at the English Cross Country Relays.  Chris Busaileh is improving quickly.  Richard Ward is a big talent and highly unpredictable.  Most of the team ran last year for the first time and I think that will help all of us.

Do you have any other races lined up over the coming months? I assume the English National XC will feature highly in your plans?

DN: My main priorities are the Northern and National Cross Country Championships.  And possibly the Manchester Marathon, but I haven’t decided for certain yet.


No London Marathon for you this year then?

DN: Unfortunately not, I love the event but it hit me very hard last year having to drop out with injury when in good shape and I’m only just getting back to any sort of serious training.  I decided I wouldn’t do a serious marathon until autumn 2012, but the thought of doing the first marathon in Manchester for 10 years is very appealing to me.


And finally, can you give us your prediction for the race winner and his time?

DN: I’m predicting a win for Jonny Mellor, it’s difficult to predict a time as the race could be run in a number of ways but I’m going to say 13:57!

Cheers!