With the Armagh International 5k just weeks away, this is the place to follow the build up. We will be bringing you pre-race interviews with the leading entrants, a race preview and much, much more. Results, race coverage and post race interviews will also be online as soon as possible after the race. Tell your friends where we are, and why not follow us on twitter while your at it; @ArmaghIntl5k

Andy Wiles Interview

Our next interview is with New Marske Harrier’s fast improving Andy Wiles. The 1500m runner from the North East has re-written his pb’s over every distance from 800m up to 10k over the past 12 months, as well as earning his first England call up. Here we question him on the secrets to his success and his plans for the future, with the Armagh International 5k now only two weeks away.



I have to start with this question, how did it feel to outkick one of the best endurance runners of all time, Keninisa Bekele at Edinburgh? I take it you were pleased with your run?

AW: I was pleased with Edinburgh I ran off my highest mileage and was unsure how I would feel, once the race got underway I felt ok. It was a great experience just being in the same race as those athletes and to beat two of the best runners in the world is great for something to look back on. Bekele was not running to his usual standard on this occasion and I felt I had to use this opportunity to take a chance I may not get again. The result has given me a lot of confidence and I just need to build on this now and concentrate on the summer and 1500m.


Looking at your Power of 10, you made a big breakthrough in 2009. What do you put this down to?

AW: In 2009 I began training with Steve Shaw, who I believe is one of the best coaches in the UK. He took me on as an athlete struggling to break 4 minutes for 1500m. He gave me a lot of confidence which I never had before. We work really well together and have had some fantastic training sessions. I only started running as an u20 so we upped the mileage slightly and we have done this slowly and progressively which has improved my endurance a lot over the last few years.


You had a good run at Ribble Valley, do you have any thoughts on breaking the elusive 30min barrier at what seemed to be your first real crack at it?

AW: Yes It was nice to break the 30 minute barrier, I wasn’t really sure how to run it as I had never been involved in a fast one before so I was happy with knocking 75 seconds off my P.B, but I believe there is still room for improvement this season. 


Having run 1.50.06 and 3.43.47 last year, I take it you’ll be aiming to take down a few more barriers in the summer, namely that magical 4 minute mile?

AW: I was pleased with how last season went especially after an injury which left me out through May and early June missing some fast races like Watford, so it was good to come back and at least run a few P.B’s. I would like to try breaking the 4 minute barrier, but this season it won’t be a priority due to the trials in June. After that then I will be looking to break some P.B’s and hopefully if I stay injury free I will get my times down further.


You’re coached by Steve Shaw and have good training partners in the likes of Ricky Stevenson and Mark Shaw. Can you tell us a bit more about your set up in the North East?

AW: Steve has a small group at New Marske and as a team we are improving and working well together. I have great training partners who push me to my limits. The North East has some great places to train, although it’s mainly in cold, wet and windy conditions which is probably why we can run on the mud and track. The small setup is used to our advantage as I feel it is much more beneficial to have a smaller number of athletes training at any one time in the same place. I believe this is why we are all running well. Steve invests the same amount of time in each of his athletes and knows what we need as individuals to perform to our best.


And finally, I read on twitter that you’re off to America in the near future. Can you tell us a bit more about this move, and what it is that appeals to you about going stateside?

AW: There are a number of options for me in America which I am considering at the moment. It is a hard decision to make as I am improving every year in the UK, but I am not at a level to get a sponsorship or funding at the moment. America have a great set up and it is a lot easier financially along with the perks of being able to see a physio whenever I need one. It’s a long way off at the moment and I will have to see what the year brings. @AndrewWiles1 for all you twitter fans!

Thanks Andy